PDA

View Full Version : Can't log into Yahoo messenger or mail!

angelbree9528
07-27-2006, 03:20 AM
I've been trying to log into my yahoo account, and all I get is invalid user ID or password. I've tried to lookup my account ID, and it pops up that my information doesn't match their files. Can someone help me? :mad:

strawberryshortcake_aj
08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
I also have been trying to log into my Yahoo account, only to be told that I dont have the correct information. PLEASE HELP before i lose all my emails.

vintech_cycles
08-08-2006, 12:34 AM
I am the director for Mad Dog MC Tokyo Japan. I have not been able to log in since Saturday. It said Yahoo was doing upgrades and be back on line shortly. After that I have not been able to log in. Keeps saying log in I.D. or password is wrong. I do a lot of business with my account. Right now I am waiting for hotel and airline confirmations to come back for upcoming motorcycle events though out asia. With out being able to sign in I don't know if I got them or not. I need help getting back my mail. I had to start another account but that doesn't help with the short time I have to get everything arranged for 7 trips to philippines,hong kong and thailand. If any one can help It would be appreciated. Thanks

Ken "Beaker" Adkins #151
Mad Dog MC
Tokyo Japan Chapter

kishmu
08-08-2006, 05:48 AM
I had been tricked too. A friend of mine sent this bogus link through yahoo Messenger:

http://geocities.com/pics_of_my_vacation_2006

I clicked on it without carefully checking the URL. It took me to a yahoo-like username/pwd entry screen. I was careless in thinking my cookie expired so I am required to re-login. I did so and so stupidly gave my password to the hacker. The hacker phished for my amex and other information I had in my inbox, and tried to gain access to my credit cards. I closed online access to all my cards. Still, I wonder what else I had in my inbox. I wrote to yahoo to disable my account immediately, but I guess its a little late. The hacker probably got what he/she wants.

randy12085
08-08-2006, 10:40 PM
I've been trying to log into my yahoo account, and all I get is invalid user ID or password. I've tried to lookup my account ID, and it pops up that my information doesn't match their files. Can someone help me? :mad:

You could follow this link account-security-help@cc.yahoo-inc.com . Write them often and as soon as you get a computer generated response (which you will) send it back to them. Persevere. I sent them 30 and got my account back in nine days.

Some creep hi-jacked my account and changed the information. After awhile yahoo will believe that you are you, when you get your account back you will see that your profile answers were altered by your hacker.

I wish you success. Randy

victim_pwd_plshelp
08-09-2006, 04:45 AM
Hey Randy,

I was so glad on reading your response and to know that perseverance really works. Its been more than a month since my account got hacked under the same phishing scam. And I have tried sending all the possible information that I remembered but to no avail. They just wont listen. I am tired of explaining them that the information is compromised but they wont just consider that fact.

Is there a way that I can convince them ? I have even asked them if they want me to send my photo ids or any other identity.

Please let me know how should I go about it.

Thanks a lot for your help.

randy12085
08-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Hey Randy,

I was so glad on reading your response and to know that perseverance really works. Its been more than a month since my account got hacked under the same phishing scam. And I have tried sending all the possible information that I remembered but to no avail. They just wont listen. I am tired of explaining them that the information is compromised but they wont just consider that fact.

Is there a way that I can convince them ? I have even asked them if they want me to send my photo ids or any other identity.

Please let me know how should I go about it.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Unfortunately we are dealing with an organization that is screwed up and KNOWS it is screwed up but does not care. Heck, go to their corporate information page where the bios of their top execs are listed with their em links. Above the links is a notice that if you write to these people re: a customer care issue THEY WILL NOT RESPOND!

Arrogance? Is it a free service when you are bombarded with advertising every time you manage to access it?

Other than multiple requests to account security our only other means of addressing these problems is to get their attention by addressing the issues in open media such as letters to pc mags and other online services. Contact sales depts at their advertisers and inform them that they are associated with a service that refuses to acknowledge customer relations.

Does it sound too David and Goliath to you? Glance at how many people have read these posts. Now imagine that each one of those people conacted,say, Disney. Do you think that if Disney gets 1000 em complaining about yahoo that they wouldn't contact yahoo? And thats if we each sent only one a piece.

I do believe that if enough people work to affect the bottom line at yahoo they will have to listen. If we are irritated enough to send 30 em to yahoo customer non-care we should be motivated enough to send 30 em to their advertisers.

I wish you success. Randy

randy12085
08-11-2006, 11:48 PM
sent to AAA, a Yahoo advertiser:

Comments: Are you aware that many Yahoo mail accounts have been phished and
hacked? When the real owners contact yahoo, yahoo rarely responds with other
than computer generated email replies.

Your advertisements are meant to target this audience, right? Well these people
are angry at the service that carries your message. TYPE: AAA.COM
MODE: Web Site

Any Yahoo advertiser has a "contact us" link after you click on their ad. Of course it is a lot easier to moan and complain to those who CAN'T do anything about your account.

kishmu
08-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Ok, I have lost all hope of getting back access to my account. Reason is I am unable to provide the secret answer that matched whats in their system. I tried all possibilities, but thats not helping.

Here is my story:
I lost my password through a phishing scam. The phishing URL was sent from my Yahoo buddy in messenger. And what more, the URL is a Yahoo geocities link!
I contacted Yahoo security because their password recovery page is useless without a correct zip, which obviously is changed by the hacker. They did contact me, but their replies had lot of pre-written stuff, which I really dont care to read. Now my secret answer doesn't match. I wonder if even that was changed! So I have lost access to emails. What I fail to understand is why the alternate email address wasn't used as an authentication level. It is *very* easy for the hacker to change critical information about u (that which is required in password retreival) and disable you permanently from accessing your own account!! What more, the hacking community has used Yahoo's own Geocities to their advantage and faked their own login screen!
I strongly feel Yahoo must be liable for what they have done to their users. Loss of sleep and peace. I have registered a complaint with FTC. I urge that everyone who has suffered to the same against Yahoo's questionable practice.

If you have Gmail account, start using that instead. Try "forgetting" something and go through their password recovery. See how well they have thought on using alternate email address.

elrania
08-18-2006, 08:08 PM
I have too been hit by this have not been able to log in since 8/13 and Yahoo customer service is no help at all I have tried emailing them repeatedly but to no avail I don't remember giving into a phising scam.. but I have changed everything that was routed to that account. It makes me mad I've already paid the 19.99 I pay each year for it now I have a hacker using it..

kishmu
08-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Hi,

Your case is worse because you are paying for the service. Please send a complaint to ftc.gov.

KK

back_as_smart
08-19-2006, 06:24 AM
Ok Yahoo??? Where did alot of Peoples accounts go?? Thought you advertised you had virus protection??? Hello?? If you did...What the heck happened?? There are loads of People that want their accounts corrected... and they and myself want to be able to get back in them!! You have a wonderful service and you let it go to pot!! Wake up America and the world....they screwed us up!! :eek:

victim_pwd_plshelp
08-20-2006, 01:11 AM
Hi guys,

Enough is enough.... we need to take some bigger step.. .something in lines of complaining to FTC and if possible do a mass effort to curb this kind of Yahoo 's customer service. After all its our own account... they couldn't protect our account from being hacked and now they are trying to "SO CALLED" protect the accounts from their respective owners... it doesn't make any sense.

Please lets get together on this and before our accounts get deleted (if they are inactive they will be in some days) lets try to get them back.
I am in for anything. From the messages that I have read.. I suppose Randy and Kishmu sound pretty informative and they can take the lead or atleast show us the path.

Hoping to hear from you all soon.

Hack Victim

kishmu
08-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Hi,

My problem is the secret answer doesn't match with what is in their system. The secret question in their system is something I wrote, much later than when I first created the account. My guess was I was answering the wrong question. So I again emailed Yahoo password security asking them to provide me with the list of secret questions asked from a user in the year 1998, when I first registered. Then a guy called Christopher emails the same old standard reply that they cannot help me because I don't match all their crap.

Who else can help me with that question but Yahoo? Their customer service is bogus.

BTW, its interesting you see "password hackers" in the Web that can do the job for a price. Obviously these guys "hack" by trading phished passwords. Its a business. If you look in their webpages (won't name them here), you will find they can hack Yahoo and Hotmail. *Not* gmail (atleast not yet).
Yahoo is helping these businesses! I wonder if these hackers work for Yahoo, because their Geocities web page was used for phishing :) Bad reasoning but I dont care. Yahoo allowed passwords to be hacked by their own services. They were careless in allowing someone to impersonate themselves in their Geocities page.

Apart from reporting to FTC (please do if you haven't), I suggest we stop using Yahoo's email. Boycott them. Switch to gmail ( no I dont work for email, but I haven't seen another free email provider that is hack free - atleast yet).
Discontinue from their paid services if you do. Spread the word around in your blogs. If someone can take this to the newspaper, that would be even better.

Yahoo will pay for this.

ginger
08-26-2006, 07:56 PM
I was last logged into yahoo on Tuesday August the 26th. Now, I can't log in either. It keeps saying invalid password or id. I know I have not changed my password. I emailed yahoo securtiy, much like everyone else and they keep saying my answers are not matching up. I have not changed them!!!! I have emailed them four days in a row, offering to send an email with a copy of my driver's license and birth certificate. Still no help. Please someone help me. I have very important contact's in my email that I cannot afford to lose. I don't know what to do. Can anyone please help me.

Thanks,
Ginger :mad:

ladyrunaway
08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
I am a victim as well and sending email back and forth with yahoo customer service for 4 days now. i even see my account being online on YM and when i send messages it will get off line.
I am just wondering..isnt that when i try to give my info on password retrieval page for several times and didnt get it right,it will then say the account is temporary accessible for 12 hrs.,would it be then an idea to just simply make the account unaccessible due to retrieveing password every 12 hrs so it will be unsusable for the one who phished it?or would it be unaccessible for the who hached it as well?

Deshaine
08-29-2006, 12:25 AM
Spoke with Yahoo Customer Care today (08-28-06) because my password no longer worked.

Here is the number and list of information you will need in order to reset your password.

1-866-562-7219

Dob
Zip
Alt email

Good luck!

kishmu
08-29-2006, 07:06 PM
If you are phished, speaking to customer service is useless because the zip would have been changed. Piece of crap.

kishmu
08-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Why do you want to continue using hacked emails? Someone already have seen your stuff, and whats the guarantee this won't happen again?

Forget yahoo. Go to gmail instead.

Mermanjohn
09-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi all concerned, just a note to say my yahoo ID was kidnapped by someone in Geocites. They sent a ransom note to my alternate email address asking for $120 to be deposited to an egold account. All my yahoo sites where affected and not accessible. I sent many notes to Yahoo! concerning this problem including the ransom note. I started calling the customer service number at 2am PDT today (Sunday). At about 0615 I reached a real person who tranferred me to the security department. The usual questions were asked to verify my account. My zip code had been changed. Jasper, the Yahoo! rep promised to reset the password within one hour. I am waiting for this now. All this happened in less than 24 hours. First clue there was a problem was from my Yahoo! Instant Messenger friends asking about some link to Geocities I had sent them. As I did not send ANY links I felt something was happening. I should have changed my password at this point. This started about 2 days ago.
Anyway, I will let all know the results of resetting the password soon.
There seems to be hope.
Thank you all for the forum. It let me know I was not alone with this problem.
Cheers,
John

Mermanjohn
09-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Forgot to post the service phone number that worked for me.
1 866 562 7219. Choose option 2.

Mermanjohn
09-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Just another quick note to say that Yahoo! has reset my password and all is well. Total time after office opened in California; <2hours.
:)
I wish you all the same success. All suspicious mail and messages have been turned over to Yahoo! security. Hopefully this will result in better protection.

Wish all well, (except the guilty party)
John

Hampton0909
09-04-2006, 07:55 PM
I called Yahoo and Told them all my information and they where like well Im sorry that doesnt match your information in your account.Im like Well Duh someones Hi Jacked it Now I cant get my Plane Ticket Information to go to My Grandpas Funeral it was sent in the email..Stupid Yahoo

rumrum
09-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Oh my its happening to everyone, Dear, i just called them,, and they stated to reset the password or something along that lines, i am waiting...

oh by the way, i cant log onto my gmail or hotmail... same status with them as well.. .any suggestions as to how to get by that...

rumrum
09-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Oh people all my mails had been deleted..........Whats the point of getting access to it..

doomed
09-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Did you all signup for the complaint petition at http://www.tecross.com/yahoo_inc/complaints/5/details/1157681969614681

We need 42 more signatures.

Bottomline, if you dont have the dob, you are screwed.

lisa
09-15-2006, 06:30 PM
hi i was tricked as well by the same hacker and my boyfriend as well they have stolen 4 accounts from us. i have tried everything i can think of and nothing so randy i am tring what u said before keep emailing yahoo.but the hacker that took mine the link was
(url)http://gecities.com/pics_of_chrisgreene2000(url) these people need to stop just like everyone else i clicked on it cuz i thought it was a friend senting me his pic so everyone on my yahoo messanger almost lost everything just like i did.im so upset by this cuz yahoo needs to protect our stuff thanks

I had been tricked too. A friend of mine sent this bogus link through yahoo Messenger:

http://geocities.com/pics_of_my_vacation_2006

I clicked on it without carefully checking the URL. It took me to a yahoo-like username/pwd entry screen. I was careless in thinking my cookie expired so I am required to re-login. I did so and so stupidly gave my password to the hacker. The hacker phished for my amex and other information I had in my inbox, and tried to gain access to my credit cards. I closed online access to all my cards. Still, I wonder what else I had in my inbox. I wrote to yahoo to disable my account immediately, but I guess its a little late. The hacker probably got what he/she wants.

v_jaguar
09-30-2006, 02:39 PM
i have lost my email account , i remember last logging at http://www.geocities.com/smokymicpot0420/pics.html since then i am unable to logon to my email , i tried emailing yahoo customer service as well but no reply, please someone help me

Jill
10-01-2006, 01:57 AM
I too have had the zip code changed by a hacker and I cannot get into my yahoo account--the employees at yahoo sound like robots--they never offer anything but --"we are sorry-your answers have to match what you registered under"--well if I could answer that assuming the hacker told me--then I would not be calling you --would I--you idiot--
anyway--how can these people work there--I have to somewhat believe in where I am employeed before I could back them up!!
anyway---I have e-mailed the technical help yahoo people for 3 weeks everyday--and still NOTHING!!

scooter
10-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Same story as many people on this board. I got an offline IM from a name I recognized. The message only had the url to a Geocities site ( http://geocities.com/gpww09/ ). When I went there, I got the phishing site (Yahoo photos, in this case). I dumbly entered my username and password, and the site just recycled back to itself. "Weird, " I thought... and didn't think much else of it. Later on that day (yesterday - it's 1:00 in the morning now), I noticed I couldn't log in to my Yahoo accounts. I still didn't think much of it, until I did a search... and found this forum.

I shot off an e-mail to the customer service address, and got the autoreply, which I immediately replied to. I *think* I remembered my secret question... I believe mine was the street I grew up on. Who knows... I first registered with Yahoo almost nine years ago.

I called the number for customer service, and they say call back at 6 AM. I'm going to try to get some sleep, while some creep has all the e-mails my wife sent to me while we were dating... not to mention almost every other e-mail I've deemed important over the past nine years.

I'm sick over this. Really, I am.

scooter
10-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Okay, it's five hours since my last post. I just got off the phone with Yahoo customer service (866-562-7219). The first guy I talked to asked me the standard "name, date of birth" runaround, and he also asked me my "secret question." He then told me my account would have to be forwarded on to account security for them to do an investigation, because I had not answered something correctly, and that this process could take 3-5 business days. I shared with him my worries that my personal information could be compromised, and that the clock was ticking, in effect - the longer these losers have my info, the more likely it is they can cull something of use out of the (literally) thousands of e-mail messages I have stored. I asked if I could speak with a supervisor, and he did transfer me over immediately.

The supervisor did the exact same series of questions, and informed me again that I had not provided the correct information. I again (politely - don't want to make tech folks angry, or you'll never get *anywhere*) informed him of my serious concerns, and offered to give whatever additional information I could to verify it was me - I told him I'd had this Yahoo account since November of 1997, told him my password (and probably security info like my birthdate) had been reset sometime in the past 24 hours, rattled off a series of alternate e-mails I've had over the past nine years, and told him the url of the phishing site (one of their own! a geocities site that is hopefully down by now). Somewhere in there I might have pressed the magic button, because he told me that I had been able to give him some piece of information that was independently verifiable, although he wouldn't tell me what it was. (Understandable on their part - after all, *I* might be the phisher, for all he knows).

Anyway, he asked me for an alternate e-mail that they could send a new password to once they get it all straightened out. He warned me that whoever stole my account (it appeared he was believing me now) probably had much of my information from my account stored, and that it would be a good idea to set up a new account (bleh! I got in on the ground floor with Yahoo e-mail, and was able to get my own name - fat chance of anything close to that now).

At any rate, that's where it stands. Hopefully, in a day or two, I'll be able to post again and say that I got my account back. Keep your fingers crossed, folks.

Ryzer
10-02-2006, 05:07 PM
This is amazing........yesterday I also received an instant message from a Yahoo ID that I recognized about checking our their new pics. It was also a geocities.com/"whatever" URL, but it only took me to a login page for Yahoo pics. So of course, stupid me logged in which did nothing. Later in the afternoon I noticed my login info wasn't working and even the "reset password" option was not working. Obviously my account info has been changed. I have received 2 auto generated emails from Yahoo now, which I have replied to asking them to please just send me a generic password so I may have access to my account again. That was yesterday and I still have not heard anything. I am now on hold with customer service which I was only able to do after finding this forum.....so big thanks to you that posted the phone number because I had no luck whatsoever finding it. I have a 20 minute hold time....LMAO, so I'll post back my results......cross your fingers for me.......LOL

Ryzer
10-02-2006, 06:03 PM
So much for that....after waiting on hold for 15 minutes and then explaining the whole situation in exact detail, the rep was unable to help me because my info didn't match my account info...............wow, nice one Einstein!! I even told him it wouldn't match when he asked for it, because obvioulsy someone changed it or I would already have a new password!! So.......now I have to wait for "second level", to either contact me via my alternate email or call me with whatever info or resolution they can. Oh......and they can't even give you a rough idea of how long this process will take, only that they will contact me as soon as possible.

Jill
10-03-2006, 02:40 AM
Nobdy ever contacts you--I am still waiting and waiting--I have had no e-mail for 3 weeks--and like everyone else has said--the hacker has already seen everything and used what he wanted to use and so I guess that I have given up on trying to get it--I went to hotmail --one of the sad things is that all my pics of my grandkid and old friends that I do not know their e-mail adddress was in there-I guess I will just have to resort to the old fashion way and write a note through the good ol' mail service --I will NEVER use yahoo again--and their way of doing business is not what America was founded on--but then again--what is????

Ryzer
10-03-2006, 01:58 PM
This happened to me on Sunday at which time I immediately started the "account-security" emailings. It's now Tuesday and I'm still waiting for Yahoo to figure out how they're going to manage the apparently impossible task of sending me a new password. Customer service is a joke.........all they do is apologize for the inconvenience and explain that the matter has been forwarded to the security dept. for investigation. In the meantime..........while we sit around waiting for them to decide when they are going to send us a new password, all our email info is probably being stolen and wiped out. Each rep I've spoken to even said that they weren't familiar with the "geocities.com/" hack, lmao..........pretty hilarious considering how many Yahoo customers I've seen just on this forum alone that have dealt with the exact same problem over the past few months.

scooter
10-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Okay, folks, here's how it wrapped up for me:

I got phished through the (now old news) Geocities hack Saturday morning. I didn't notice until late afternoon, but didn't realized I'd been hijacked until around midnight. I called the Yahoo service number (go back a page or two on this list - it's an 800 or 888 number, toll-free in the US) and found out they do business starting at 6 AM Pacific time.

6 AM I was on the phone. I got right through (probably because it was a Sunday morning - less traffic than a business day). The tech's name was R.J., and he ran me through the standard rigamarole that several of you have mentioned - actual name, date of birth, alternate e-mail address, etc. He told me what the reps told many of you, that my info didn't match. He would send it on to the famed "second level" of security for those folks to deal with, and I should know something in 3-5 business days. :eek:

Here's where I might hold the magic key with these folks. Knowing a lot of techies (and kind of being one myself, I guess) I know they pretty much hold all the cards in a situation like this. So, my advice to you is this: despite how freaked out you may be, do NOT yell or get angry at the Tech. He's probably in New Delhi or Karachi and doesn't really give a rip about you or your only digital photos of Aunt Edna, but he is willing to do his job to the best of his ability, provided you don't tick him off.

So, to that end, I very politely asked if I could speak with his supervisor. He told me his supervisor would only give me the same information, but I (again politely) insisted I speak with him. I then got John, R.J.'s supervisor, who again did the whole "name, date of birth" yadda yadda with me. When I reached the same dead-end with him, I began offering information - every e-mail address I'd used since 1997 (since signing up with Yahoo). Something must have clicked, because he then told me I'd given him some information that did indeed match up - he couldn't tell me what information, only that some information did match up.

I asked if I could speak to someone at the "second level," but he told me they had no phone service there (where are they, the island from "Lost" or something? :) ) Anyway, he then began to talk to me like I really was who I was saying I was, telling me that it would be a good idea "once I got back into my account" (so glad to hear that little phrase) to set up a new account.

The e-mail that was sent to my alternate address came in less than 24 hours after my 6 AM phone call. They even called back the following day (my wife got the call) to check on it, and to make sure I was back in my account.

I can't speak to the problems that some of you have been having. My advice would be to be as kind and gentle as you can with these guys, because it did seem to work for me. Besides, it's not really their fault we got phished - in my case, I've been online (on the WWW) since 1996, and have been logging on with a computer to bulletin board systems (BBS's) since 1982 with my Commodore Vic-20. So, if anyone should know, it should be me, and I still got hooked. Good luck, everyone... there IS hope!!!!!! :D

Ryzer
10-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Well, I have to disagree to an extent on "not Yahoo's fault". Not sure about the rest of you, but the geocities URL directed me to the Yahoo Photo's page, which of course prompted me to login. To me, seems like Yahoo themselves got hacked in a way. My problem began on Sunday afternoon and my password was reset on Tuesday afternoon. I did have probably 5 "heated" phone conversations with Yahoo reps, and one supervisor only because of their ridiculous policy. Every single rep I spoke to sounded like a freaking robot......lol. I also repeatedly sent reply emails back to "account-security". Anyways.........I am in the process of giving a new email address to all of my contacts. My Yahoo days are done.

Jill
10-05-2006, 11:12 PM
I agree--if yahoo does not have another way of telling them who you are other than zip code-etc-then they are sooooooooooooo not up to date with technology--I could prove over and over than I was the holder of my account --but because my zip code did not match--I STILL do not have access to my account--and I tried the "nice thing"--no matter how mad I really was inside--I remained cool-and nice--but to no avail--I AM DONE WITH YAHOO --- FOREVER!!!!!!!

abba
10-20-2006, 12:35 AM
I was logged on to my yahoo account...well on messenger...
and all of sudden it said signed in at a
diffenrt location.... i tried to sign
back in but it woudlnt let me....
i kinda remember the info i put in my profile/
account info like DOB and zip code...but i think the hacker has changed them....so i cant change my
password either. I use my yahoo inbox
for university and work. I really need
it. I have the feeling that someone
changed my password... evne though i had
never told anyone!!!
has it been hacked??! and if so... couldnt the hacker have changed the info on my account? then am I really messed up???? eh?

can like call that 1866 number mentioned above and verify some of my latest e-mails in my inbox? after all they need info... please help me out guys :(

what should i do.???????

PLease help. I really need ur help here!

Yours respectfully,

abba

stc1213
11-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Glad to know im not the only one this has happened to. My problem is that since i can't log in, I also can't get to the bill pay account that i had. I just received a call from Ford Credit wondering where my truck payment was. I had already made the payment, but it apparently hasn't gotten to them. Naturally Im quite worried at this point.

If I ever get my hands on the person that screwed up my account. Well I probably can't post what will happen to them on this forum.

debmiester48
11-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Hello-
Try this number for account verification. 866-850-4303
My Yahoo account was stolen from someone that also stole my ebay account. Ebay was wonderful and had my account back up and running in a matter of an hour. It took 10 days of emails back and forth with Yahoo to get this number. Once I finally got on the phone with them (hold time was 25 minutes) my account was restored in 5 minutes.
Best ofLuck!
Deb

jking233
12-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Ok People,

My Yahoo Account got hacked yesterday. I did all the “if you forgot your user name or password” stuff got the same E-mail as everyone else has. I called 866 562-7219 waited about 10 min I think his name was Max who I talked with. I can tell you FIRST and foremost BE NICE and POLITE. I told him my whole story yada yada…. gave him my DOB ZIP etc. My Zip did not match I give him all 3 Zips sense I set this up account about 10 years ago. One thing that was interesting he asked me to answer to my Security Question. I told him I did not know what the question was. He told me the question was “what is First Name”? Not what is my first name or what my mom or dads or kid or dog first name just “what is first name” I give him my first name my moms dads dogs etc… first name. Then he asked me for an E-mail “outside” of yahoo to send a temp password. Before I got off the phone I had it and he waited for me to try it I did and got right in. One thing that we need to realized the yahoo is a FREE service when it comes to E-mail and messenger. They don’t really use TOS at all because it is a free service. I would say to people if you want to keep important INFO, I would not use Yahoo I would use your ISP E-mail because that mail stays on their E-mail server and if they had to they could get it back for you. Hope this helps and remember being NICE and POLITE to Customer NO service can sometimes work!!

jhepn
12-11-2006, 07:58 PM
My account was also hacked into this morning. For about the past 7 hours, I have been unable to access any of my Yahoo account information as someone/something has apparently changed my password. The obvious concern is that this is the beginning of potential identity theft.
I found in this thread the phone numbers to reach Yahoo, which are, as indicated by the very presence of this thread, obscurely located on the Yahoo site at best. I googled it and found the numbers much easier (hmmmm?). So, upon contacting a "human" (and I use the term loosely), I was told that I no longer had a secret question to validate my account. Apparently the hacker took care of that first. So then I was asked for my credit card that they have in their system. I told them I have several cards and had no idea which one they had. After providing her with 3 cards, none of which matched, I was told that there was nothing that they could do to unlock my password.
Ok, frustration mounting. I was then told to email their security team:
account-security@cc.yahoo-inc.com
which I then did. Of course, I quickly received an automated reply, which only raised the levels of frustration. I then documented the entire story to date and re-emailed the security team. As of now, I have not heard anything back.

So this is where it stands as of now. The very same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. I basically went down the same road, culminating in having to send over a copy of a birth certificate and drivers license via fax to their security team. Needless to say, the process took about 3 days before it was resolved. I can only hope that it works this time.

I would love to have a place to file a legal complaint. Any thoughts??

jhepn
12-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Ok, so here's what happened. I called in and emailed but was getting nowhere. I had the same response that others (including myself) have logged here. Called tech support, asked a variety of questions, credit card info, zip code, email addresses, etc. Went to the supervisor and got the same runaround.
Well, I called back again. This time I spoke to Ronald. Same routine, but, in deference to a poster earlier in the thread, I maintained complete and utter cheerfulness. I was completely unperterbed and overly friendly, laughing to him about how much he must have to hear from the likes of me and such. Then i began rattling off everything I DID know. I gave him 3 zip codes, every phone I could ever think of, all my email addresses going back into antiquity. He put me on hold for about a minute. Five minutes later I had a new password in my inbox.
Moral of the story, be POLITE, and give all the info you possibly can till something clicks. THEY CAN give you a new password at any time. You just have to persuade them effectively. Good luck to all of you and NEVER click on a link from Yahoo Messenger!!!! (or just switch to MSN!)

kwv
01-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Ok People,

My Yahoo Account got hacked yesterday. I did all the “if you forgot your user name or password” stuff got the same E-mail as everyone else has. I called 866 562-7219 waited about 10 min I think his name was Max who I talked with. I can tell you FIRST and foremost BE NICE and POLITE. I told him my whole story yada yada… Hope this helps and remember being NICE and POLITE to Customer NO service can sometimes work!!

Can you you help being nice and polite, when you get no,slow or poor reponse from Yahoo that includes over many months standard form letter replies that has nothing to do with your problems, being told different things by Yahoo Staff that doesn't give you answers, being told to supply more information when you cannot as you don't have more information to give etc etc etc etc