Support Sentry Forums

Go Back   Support Sentry Forums > Customer Service Complaint Forums > Yahoo! Customer Service and Complaints
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Laurence928

Default Email Account

Good Morning to All,

I have been trying to access my Yahoo email account for the past week with no success. Apparently, I made the mistake of downloading the most recent upgrade to the Yahoo system and it no longer recognizes my password, which by the way...I have not changed in the 10 years I've had my yahoo account. Everytime I enter the password the system kicks it back and says enter password. As luck would have it, I am receiving emails that I cannot access. I have contacted Yahoo via that asinine feedback window 4 times. The main problem is that it asks for my date of birth, zip code at time of account activation, and some other information. (1) I have moved at least 4 times since my account activation so recalling my zip code is impossible. (2) Because I work in what is referred to as "National Security" I did not provide correct personal information because I did not want my personal information floating around the internet, the problem is I do not recall the date of birth or other information that I entered. I have an alternate email account with Mail.com that I did the same thing because I did not want to receive all of the junk mail everytime I am force to provide an email account for one thing or another.

How do I go about gaining access to my email account other than completing the same feedback window which only provides computer generated responses?

I have numerous email folders that have sensitive information (purchases made via the internet) residing in those folders. Also, my entire email address book is unavailable to me.

If need be, I can name every folder I have, as well as most of the people who are listed in my address book.

Anyone have any suggestions...besides shooting myself...LOL

Laurence
Old 11-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Beths323i

Default Good Luck with Yahoo

Good luck regaining access to your Yahoo account. Yahoo! Customer Service refuses to help me simply because I cannot recall the birthdate I entered 8 years ago. When I spoke to Customer Service, they told me that unless I can verify that birthdate, they cannot help me. I explained my situation and told them I can tell them what folders I have in my email. I was told to get a court subpeona then they might help me. I have also emailed Yahoo account security and keep getting the same automated email from them. I am frusterated and disgusted that Yahoo! Services solely relies on that birthdate as a way to verify an account.

If you are fortunate enough to get a hold of someone who will actually understand and help you, please let me know. I am trying to get a phyical address for Yahoo so I can try to get my email account back.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Reaper

They need the birthdate because that information is not shown to anyone, even a hacker. They have it stored in their own database for purposes such as this. You should really use a legitimate birthdate in order to regain access. Problem is that you do not remember it now. Look at it this way. Any person can pull up your account through hacking and look into your email and write down all accessible info such as folders, emails, personal info. But since the birthdate is not shown, only the REAL account holder can verify this information. If you do not know the birthdate, then how do they know YOU are the real account holder? I'm not defending Yahoo as they do have their issues but you just have to look at it from both sides. If someone in your place asks for the new password and they give it to them, Yahoo is now responsible for giving away info sensitive to your account. You would be quite upset at them wouldn't you? This is why they ask for the info that is needed and only known by Yahoo and the account holder.

My advise cannot help since you do not remember the birthdate you entered, UNLESS you happen to remember it. Other than that I have a feeling that you won't regain access.

Also, I have not known of any updates to Yahoo except downloading a new version of Messenger. If you clicked any links in email to get a "new update to yahoo" then chances are that you clicked a link that was not valid, therefore you were phished. It happened to me through a photos link but I gave them the birthdate as well as an intimate description of the account.

Good luck to you. Its no easy task I know since it happened twice to me since i opened my account in 1997.