Support Sentry Forums

Go Back   Support Sentry Forums > Customer Service Complaint Forums > Yahoo! Customer Service and Complaints
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2006, 04:01 AM
anchors64

Default New *********scam********on Yahoo************

I recieved this in my email from a friend of mine.
My account has been hacked into and they changed the security answer and password to my yahoo account. My security question is where did you first meet your husband? I met hime thru the Daily Herald Connections and its incorrect! DAH! I SHOULD KNOW WHERE!!
Have been sending information to the BBB and that still hasn't helped me. Now I also forwarded this email to them to see if they will investigate more.

In a message dated 4/23/2006 1:06:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email]oxosherrioxo@verizon.net[/email] writes:

Fake Yahoo! website running ID theft scam
Phishers get their hooks into IM...

By Munir Kotadia

Published: Wednesday 31 August 2005

A website designed to look like an official Yahoo! service offering free games but most likely designed to facilitate ID theft has been discovered by internet security firm Trend Micro.

The fake site, which was still live as recently as today, is being hosted on a Yahoo! Geocities account and asks users to log in with their Yahoo! user ID and password. Once the details are entered, the site displays a slogan "PAGINA HACKEADA - CUIDADO!", which means "hacked page - be careful" in Spanish.

Adam Biviano, senior systems engineer at Trend Micro Australia and New Zealand, said victims are being lured to the website by spam sent over Yahoo!'s instant messenger service. This means a user will receive a message - often from someone on their friends list - telling them to visit the site, which makes the scam more believable.

Biviano said: "It is basically a honeypot to try and attract people there to sign up for online games. I am of the opinion that this is probably just [being promoted] with spam." He conceded the messages could be generated by a virus or other malware, adding "viruses making use of instant messenger are becoming far more popular".

According to Biviano, the site only has one purpose - identity theft.

"This is really showing that identity theft is where the next big threats are heading. The only reason for this site to exist - it is not stealing credit cards or taking any money off you in any way - it is just after personal details," he said.

Yahoo! was unavailable for comment.

Instant messenger applications have been attacked on a regular basis over the past year with various viruses and worms taking advantage of users' focus on malicious email-based attacks.

Last week, a variant of the Kelvir worm attacked users of Microsoft's MSN Messenger service in 10 different languages - depending on the user's system setting.

This attack came just weeks after the Opanki worm attempted to infect instant messenger users with a malicious file disguised as a version of Apple's iTunes application