Support Sentry Forums

Go Back   Support Sentry Forums > Customer Service Complaint Forums > Yahoo! Customer Service and Complaints
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2006, 02:40 PM
eibgrad

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_blackswan
Dear People,

I have had mailbox access problems now for over a week. I have sent out numerous "error reports" for all the good it did me. I have had this email since 1996! My virtual life revolves around it. The thought of never being able to use it again induces a near nervous breakdown... However, reading your posts.... hope fails me and I now fear I will have to come to terms with the looming fact that I will have to kiss it goodbye. Curse you Yahoo!

please post help if you can people.

Ps: 1-408-349-1572

Apparently that's the number for ahoo customer services.

Feedback any success and let hope be kindled again.

If you're having the same problem as me ("temporarily unavailable" message), the situtation is a lot worse than you can imagine.

I've now been w/o my Yahoo mail account for SIX WEEKS! After trying repeatedly to reach Yahoo via email and phone, nothing has worked. But out of the blue last week, my gazillionth email seems to have finally reached someone at Yahoo, a real person!, who then indicated they could only help me if I answered the following questions correctly:

Quote:
Hello XXX,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Mail.

We realize that you have been greatly inconvenienced by this situation.
However, before proceeding, we would like to verify your account
information so we can confirm your account ownership. We take this
precaution to ensure the security of your account.

Please provide all of the following information:

1. Your Yahoo! ID;

2. Your zip or postal code, and the alternate email address you
specified when you registered your Yahoo! ID;

3. Either the secret question and answer you set up when you registered
your Yahoo! ID, or your date of birth.

We will be happy to assist you after matching this info with our
records.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Regards,

Ashley

Yahoo! Customer Care

At this point I'm thinking *maybe* I'm finally going to get somewhere. But then I look more closely at the questions and realize it present yet more hurdles.

As far the postal code I used when I signed up, if they mean this literally (which I asked and they wouldn't answer), well I've moved 6-7 times since opening my account and have updated the zip every time (no one indicated this would be necessary at the time I signed up!). And I frankly don't know which zip code was the *original* zip at that time. Anyway, having no other choice I sent them the current zip (which is currently on my profile page). As a precaution, I included every other zip I've had since signing up as well (all accurate).

As far as my birth date, here too, I could very well have lied (wanting to protect my privacy). Again, no one indicated this would be necessary at the time I signed up! Frankly, I'd be inclined to do this w/ the zip code too, but probably didn't because I used the Yahoo Wallet back then and needed accurate info.

I fortunately had written down my secret question and answer and provide it in my response.

That was some 4-5 days ago, since then, no word. Apparently I didn't provide perfect information!

What's so annoying w/ this current situation is, WHY IS ALL THIS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION NECESSSARY IN THE FIRST PLACE?! When I signed up w/ Yahoo many years ago, ONLY the security question was indicated as necessary, and even then, ONLY to recover a password. Well, I *have* the password (which I told them I'd be more than happy to provide as well). At no time did Yahoo indicate back then that all this additional information would be NECESSARY to address any issues that may arise. Now all of a sudden, if you don't have a bunch of other info, you're SOL! EVEN HAVING AND PROVIDING YOUR PASSWORD IS OF NO HELP!

I've just never had so many problems w/ a company's tech support as I have w/ this Yahoo email. Sorry to bring you such bad news, but realize a LOT of us are in the same boat. And frankly, I have no idea how to fix the situation from here. If having my own password, providing the correct security question/answer (I know it's correct because I recently used it to change my password hoping it might fix my mailbox, which it didn't), and current zip code (as indicated in my current profile page, which I converted to a PDF to show them I had access) doesn't help, well.... then I give up. Yahoo has created a situation apparently only Houdini could master.

It's just ridiculuous to NOW be adding requirements to gain help that no one indicated were necessary at sign up (not back then anyway). Obviously I would have maintained a detailed record of all that information at that time had I known Yahoo would eventual change its requirements and create all these additional hurdles. So the older your account, the more likely you'll find it IMPOSSIBLE to comply. I maintained the secret question/answer assuming it was only necessary for password recovery, and that if I had the password, that was sufficient to prove ownership. Apparently I am sadly mistaken, they've since moved the goal posts.

The situation is horrible, and as I said, a lot worse than most people can imagine until a Yahoo created problem arises and you need help. This should come as a warning to all Yahoo users that you better start considering another email service, or even Yahoo Plus so you can at least download you email over POP to your favorite client software (e.g., Outlook Express) before something befalls your account. There's no way on earth I'd ever trust any business or otherwise critical email usage to Yahoo at this point. Way way too risky. Even if by some miracle you got help, who can reasonably be expected to wait WEEKS AND WEEKS to have it addressed. For occasional, expendable correspondence between friends, it's probably fine. For business or critical email, either use your own email client, or find a smaller, more responsive email service provider. Yahoo is just too big, and for the small fry freebies like us, doesn't give a crap. I've had better responsiveness from the DMV and IRS.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Mlbs2002

Default Welcome to the New Yahoo!

They suck more than the old yahoo.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:25 AM
randy12085

Default Misery LOVES company

I am a victim of Yahoo customer non-care also. Its gotten to the point where I do not even expect a reply anymore unless it is a canned auto-crap reply.

I have started sending snot-o-grams to Yahoo company officials voicing my feedback re: their service. I have to agree with one writer who suggests addressing this problem with the open media. If Yahoo gets enough bad press either the problems will get fixed or they will lose market ground to other providers.

In the end one caveat holds true - "You get what you pay for" and in this case this free service is proving to be worthless.